Place:


Batheaston  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Batheaston like this:

BATHEASTON, a parish and a subdistrict in Bath district, Somerset. The parish lies on the river Avon, near the Foss& way, 1 ½ mile N by E of Bathampton r. station, and 2 ½ NE of Bath. It has a ferry to Bathampton, and a post office under Bath. Acres, 1,863. Real property, £11,106. ...


Pop., 1,698. Houses, 353. The property is much subdivided. Lines of houses and numerous villas make the south-western part suburban to Bath. The manor belonged to the Saxon kings, and the church was early appropriated to Bath abbey. Solsbury hill, 600 feet high has traces of a circular camp sup posed to have been used by the Saxons in their siege of Bath. The living is a vicarage, united with the p. curacy of St. Catherine, in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £298.* Patron, Christ Church college, Oxford. The church is perpendicular English; was partly rebuilt in 1860; and contains a tablet to the Rev. J. Conybeare, the Anglo-Saxon scholar, who was several years vicar. There are a church at St. Catherines, Wesleyan and Moravian chapels, a national school, and charities £35.-The subdistrict comprises Soper's farm and eight parishes. Acres, exclusive of Soper's farm, 9,819. Pop., 6,989. Houses, 1,374.

Batheaston through time

Batheaston is now part of Bath and North East Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bath and North East Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Batheaston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Batheaston in Bath and North East Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: https://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12411

Date accessed: 20th April 2024


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Batheaston".