Place:


Weston  Somerset

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Weston like this:

WESTON, a village and a parish in Bath district, Somerset. The village stands 2 miles NW of Bath r. station; and has a post-office under Bath, a courthouse, a police station, and a fair on 10 Aug. The parish comprises 2,650 acres. Real property, £20,862; of which £4,473 are in gasworks. ...


Pop., 3,127. Houses, 610. The property is much subdivided. There are numerous villas. Lansdown hill, noticed in our article on Bath, is here. Building-stone and blue lias abound; and the latter is calcined into lime. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Bath and Wells. Value, £468.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was built in 1832, and is in the later English style. A chapel of ease, called St. John's, was built in 1838. There are three dissenting chapels, a national school, and charities £24.

Weston through time

Weston is now part of Bath and North East Somerset district. Click here for graphs and data of how Bath and North East Somerset has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Weston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Weston in Bath and North East Somerset | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12407

Date accessed: 14th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Weston ".