Place:


Gayton le Marsh  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gayton le Marsh like this:

GAYTON-LE-MARSH, a parish in Louth district, Lincoln; on a stream which runs to the sea at Saltfleet, 3 miles NE of Authorpe r. station, and 5¾ N by W of Alford. Post town, Withern, under Alford. Acres, 2, 166. Real property, £3, 211. Pop., 331. Houses, 62. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £450.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient; underwent reconstruction in 1847; and was reported in 1859 to need repair. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £45.

Gayton le Marsh through time

Gayton le Marsh is now part of East Lindsey district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Lindsey has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Gayton le Marsh itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gayton le Marsh, in East Lindsey and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12305

Date accessed: 25th June 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Gayton le Marsh ".