Place:


Denton  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Denton like this:

DENTON, a township-chapelry in Otley parish, W. R. Yorkshire: on the river Wharfe, 4 miles NW of Otley r. station, and 7½ NE of Keighley. Post town, Otley. Acres, 3, 100. Real property, £2, 979. Pop., 170. Houses, 29. Denton Park was formerly the seat of the Fairfaxes; was the birth-place of Fairfax, the parliamentary general, and Fairfax, the translator of Tasso; and is now the seat of Sir J. T. S. Ibbetson, Bart. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £100.* Patron, M. Wyvill, jun., Esq.

Denton through time

Denton is now part of Harrogate district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harrogate has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Denton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Denton, in Harrogate and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12292

Date accessed: 15th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Denton ".