Place:


Danby Wiske  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Danby Wiske like this:

DANBY-WISKE, a township and a parish in Northallerton district, N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies on the York and Newcastle railway, 3½ miles NNW of Northallerton; has a post office under Northallerton; and includes the hamlet of Streetham. Acres, 3, 247. Real property, £3, 324. Pop., 353. ...


Houses, 71. The parish contains also the chapelry of Yafforth. Acres, 4, 547. Real property, £5, 874. Pop., 557. Houses, 108. The property is much subdivided. Danby Hill is the seat of the Rev. E. Cust. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Yafforth, in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £490. Patron, the Rev. E. Cust. The church is good; and there is a Wesleyan chapel.

Danby Wiske through time

Danby Wiske is now part of Hambleton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hambleton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Danby Wiske itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Danby Wiske, in Hambleton and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12276

Date accessed: 29th November 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Danby Wiske ".