Place:


South Cowton  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described South Cowton like this:

COWTON (South), a chapelry in Gilling parish, N. R. Yorkshire; between the Great North of England and the Richmond railways, 2¼ miles SW of Cowton r. station, and 7¼ NW by W of Northallerton. It includes the ville of Pepperhall; and its post town is East-Cowton, under Northallerton. Acres, 2, 136. Real property, £2, 099. Pop., 167. Houses, 28. The property is divided among a few. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £53. Patron, the Vicar of Gilling. The church is good. Charities, £7.

South Cowton through time

South Cowton is now part of Hambleton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hambleton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about South Cowton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of South Cowton, in Hambleton and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12237

Date accessed: 26th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " South Cowton ".