Place:


East Cowton  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described East Cowton like this:

COWTON (East), a parish in Northallerton district, N. R. Yorkshire; on the Great North of England railway, ¾ of a mile S of Cowton r. station, and 6 ½ miles NNW of Northallerton. It has a post office under Northallerton. Acres, 3, 310. Real property, £4, 923; of which £1, 312 are in railways. Pop., 472. Houses, 98. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £202.* Patron, Kirby-Ravensworth Hospital. The church is good; and an endowed school has £27.

East Cowton through time

East Cowton is now part of Hambleton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hambleton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about East Cowton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of East Cowton, in Hambleton and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12234

Date accessed: 08th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " East Cowton ".