Place:


Coatham  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Coatham like this:

COATHAM, two hamlets and a chapelry in Kirk-Leatham parish, N. R. Yorkshire. The hamlets are East and West-Coatham; they lie at the mouth of the Tees, 1 mile N of Redcar r. station, and 6 N by W of Guisborough; they carry on a fishery, and are frequented for sea-bathing; and they have a post office under Redcar. ...


Pop., 371. The chapelry was constituted in 1860. Pop., 727. Houses, 149. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £152. Patron, A. Newcomen, Esq. Turner's free school was rebuilt here in 1869, at a cost of £4, 000; and is in the Gothic style, with a tower.

Coatham through time

Coatham is now part of Redcar and Cleveland district. Click here for graphs and data of how Redcar and Cleveland has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Coatham itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Coatham, in Redcar and Cleveland and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12147

Date accessed: 03rd June 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Coatham ".