Place:


Cloughton  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cloughton like this:

CLOUGHTON, or Claughton, a township in Scalby parish, N. R. Yorkshire; on the coast, 4½ miles N NW of Scarborough. It has a post office under Scarborough, a chapel of ease, and a Wesleyan chapel. Acres, 3, 688; of which 178 are water. Real property, £3, 439; of which £112 are in quarries. Pop., 441. Houses, 107. Cliffs of gritstone and shales, with fossils, are here; and good building-stone is found. There is a Druidical circle.

Cloughton through time

Cloughton is now part of Scarborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Scarborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cloughton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cloughton, in Scarborough and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12145

Date accessed: 28th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cloughton ".