Place:


Manningford Bruce  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Manningford Bruce like this:

MANNINGFORD-BRUCE, a parish in Pewsey district, Wilts; on the river Avon, and on the Berks and Hants railway, 2½ miles SW of Pewsey r. station. It has a post office under Marlborough. Acres, 1,088. Real property, £1,831. Pop., 252. Houses, 65. The property is chiefly in one estate. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £310. * Patrons, Trustees. The church is Norman, in bad condition; has a circular E end; and contains a monument to Mary Lane, who assisted in the escape of Charles II. at Worcester. There is an infant school.

Manningford Bruce through time

Manningford Bruce is now part of Kennet district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kennet has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Manningford Bruce itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Manningford Bruce, in Kennet and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12136

Date accessed: 23rd October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Manningford Bruce ".