Place:


Seend  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Seend like this:

SEEND, a chapelry, with a village, in Melksham parish, Wilts; on the Mid Wilts railway, 4 miles W by S of Devizes. It has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Melksham. Acres, 2, 730. Real property, £12, 907; of which £5,000 are in mines. Pop., 1,086. Houses, 241. The property is considerably divided. ...


The manor belonged to the Despencers, passed to the Bohuns, belongs now to the Dean and Chapter of Salisbury, and is held in lease by the Awdrys. A rich bed of iron-stone lies on the lower greensand formation; is said to have been worked by the ancients; and was worked by three successive modern companies; but was lying in abeyance in 1868. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to Melksham, in the diocese of Salisbury. The church is old and interesting, and has a pinnacled tower. There are two Methodist chapels and -a national school.

Seend through time

Seend is now part of Kennet district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kennet has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Seend itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Seend, in Kennet and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12088

Date accessed: 23rd October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Seend ".