Place:


Cliffe  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Cliffe like this:

CLIFF-CUM-LUND, a township in Hemingbrough parish, E. R. Yorkshire; on the Selby and Hull railway, adjacent to the river Ouse, 3½ miles E of Selby. It has a station on the railway and a post-office under Howden, both of the name of Cliff. Acres, 2, 618. Real property, £4, 394. Pop., 615. Houses, 145.

Cliffe through time

Cliffe is now part of Selby district. Click here for graphs and data of how Selby has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cliffe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cliffe, in Selby and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12078

Date accessed: 16th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cliffe ".