Place:


Clayton  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Clayton like this:

CLAYTON-WITH-FRICKLEY, a parish in Doncaster district, W. R. Yorkshire; 3½ miles NE of Darfield r. station, and 8 NW of Doncaster. Post town, Darfield, under Barnesley. Acres, 1, 640. Real property, £2, 273. Pop., 312. Houses, 62. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the dio. of York. Value, £140.* Patron, W. Aldam, Esq. The church is Norman; and there is a Wesleyan chapel.

Clayton through time

Clayton is now part of Doncaster district. Click here for graphs and data of how Doncaster has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Clayton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Clayton, in Doncaster and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12071

Date accessed: 28th June 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Clayton ".