Place:


Deeping St James  Lincolnshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Deeping St James like this:

DEEPING-ST. JAMES, a parish in Bourn district, Lincoln; on the river Welland, at the boundary with Northampton, 1¾ mile from the Peterborough and Boston railway, and 1 mile E of Market-Deeping. It has a station on the railway; and its post town is Market-Deeping. Acres, 6, 470. Real property, £10, 741. ...


Pop., 1, 763. Houses, 411. The property is much subdivided. A Benedictine priory was founded here, in 1139, by Baldwin Wake; was given to Thorney abbey; and passed, at the dissolution, to the Norfolks. There is a mineral spring. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lincoln. Value, £191.* Patron, Sir T. Whichcote, Bart. The church is of the time of Henry III.; has a lofty tower and octangular spire; and was recently repaired. There are a Calvinist chapel, two Methodist chapels, an endowed school, and charities £211.

Deeping St James through time

Deeping St James is now part of South Kesteven district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Kesteven has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Deeping St James itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Deeping St James, in South Kesteven and Lincolnshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/12026

Date accessed: 09th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Deeping St James ".