Place:


Carlton Town  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Carlton Town like this:

CARLTON, a township in Coverham parish, N. R. Yorkshire; in Highdale, 5 miles SSW by W of Middleham. It has a post office under Bedale. Acres, 2,716. Real property, £1,931. Pop., 276. Houses, 69. The surface is the lower part of an upland vale, traversed by a tributary of the river Ure. See Carlton-Highdale.

Carlton Town through time

Carlton Town is now part of Richmondshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Richmondshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Carlton Town itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Carlton Town, in Richmondshire and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11967

Date accessed: 20th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Carlton Town ".