Place:


West Burton  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Burton like this:

BURTON-CUM-WALDEN, or West Burton, a township in Aysgarth parish, N. R. Yorkshire; at the junction of Bishopdale and Wensleydale, 3 miles SW of Aysgarth. It has a post office, of the name of West Burton, under Bedale; and fairs are held in it on 10 March, 6 May, 30 Aug., 26 Sept., and 3 Nov. Acres, 6,790. Real property, £4,038. Pop., 478. Houses, 110. There is a Wesleyan chapel.

West Burton through time

West Burton is now part of Richmondshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Richmondshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Burton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Burton, in Richmondshire and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11881

Date accessed: 19th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Burton ".