Place:


Burneston  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Burneston like this:

BURNESTON, a township and a parish in Bedale district, N. R. Yorkshire. The township lies near the river Swale, 4 miles SE of Bedale, and 3 W of Sinderby r. station. Acres, 1,185. Real property, £2.368. Pop., 290. Houses, 70. The parish contains also the townships of Gatenby, Theakstone, Carthorpe, and Exelby, Leeming, and Newton; and its Post Town is Bedale. ...


Acres, 7,411. Real property, £13,261. Pop., 1,554. Houses, 355. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ripon. Value, £546.* Patron, the Duke of Cleveland. The church was restored in 1854; and has a splendid eastern memorial window to the late Duke of Cleveland. The p. curacy of Leeming is a separate charge. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £29.

Burneston through time

Burneston is now part of Hambleton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hambleton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Burneston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Burneston, in Hambleton and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11867

Date accessed: 28th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Burneston ".