Place:


Brompton  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brompton like this:

BROMPTON, a chapelry in Northallerton parish, N. R. Yorkshire; adjacent to the Northeastern railway, 1½ mile N of Northallerton. It has a station on the railway, and a post office under Northallerton. Acres, 3,801. Real property, £6,670. Pop., 1,398. Houses, 316. The property is much subdivided. ...


Here is Standard hill, the scene of the victory over the Scots in 1138. The inhabitants are chiefly weavers. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York. Value, £120. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Durham. The church is good; and there are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels.

Brompton through time

Brompton is now part of Hambleton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hambleton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Brompton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brompton, in Hambleton and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11792

Date accessed: 17th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Brompton ".