Place:


Hill Deverill  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hill Deverill like this:

DEVERILL-HILL, a parish in Warminster district, Wilts; on the Deverill rivulet, 3½ miles S of Warminster town and r. station. Post town, Deverill-Longbridge, under Warminster. Acres, 1, 420. Real property, £1, 792. Pop., 149. Houses, 29. The property is divided between two. The Ludlows were some time seated here; and General Ludlow was born in the vicinity. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £76. Patron, the Prebendary thereof. The church has a fine old monument of one of the Ludlows; and is very good.

Hill Deverill through time

Hill Deverill is now part of West Wiltshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Wiltshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hill Deverill itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hill Deverill in West Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11714

Date accessed: 05th December 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hill Deverill ".