Place:


Droylsden  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Droylsden like this:

DROYLSDEN, a township-chapelry in Manchester parish, Lancashire; on the Rochdale canal and the Manchester and Sheffield railway, 4 miles E of Manchester-It includes the hamlet of Little Droylsden, and the villages of Fairfield and Clayton; and it has a station on the railway, and a post office‡ under Manchester. ...


Acres, 1, 611. Real property, £25, 121. Pop., 8, 798. Houses, 1, 718. The property is subdivided. Many of the inhabitants are employed in cotton factories. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £130. Patron, alternately the Crown and the Bishop. The church was built in 1848; an Independent chapel, in 1860; a Wesleyan chapel, in 1866; and there are Moravian and P. Methodist chapels, and British schools.

Droylsden through time

Droylsden is now part of Tameside district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tameside has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Droylsden itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Droylsden, in Tameside and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/117

Date accessed: 28th July 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Droylsden ".