Place:


West Bretton  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described West Bretton like this:

BRETTON (West), a township-chapelry in SandalMagna and Silkstone parishes, W. R. Yorkshire; 3 miles SW of Crigglestone r. station, and 6 SW by S of Wakefield. Post Town, Bretton, under Wakefield. Acres of the Sandal-Magna portion, 876. Pop., 132. Houses, 32. Acres of the Silkstone portion, 980. Pop., 372. Houses, 74. Real property, £1,783. Bretton Hall is the seat of W. B. Beaumont, Esq. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Ripon. Value, not reported. Patron, W. B. Beaumout, Esq.

West Bretton through time

West Bretton is now part of Wakefield district. Click here for graphs and data of how Wakefield has changed over two centuries. For statistics about West Bretton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of West Bretton, in Wakefield and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11679

Date accessed: 13th July 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " West Bretton ".