Place:


North Bradley  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described North Bradley like this:

BRADLEY (North), a tything, a parish, and a subdistrict in Westbury district, Wilts. The tything lies on an affluent of the river Avon, adjacent to the Great Western railway, 2 miles S of Trowbridge; and has a post office under Trowbridge. Real property, £3,917. Pop., 955. Houses, 231.—The parish includes also the tything of Southwick. ...


Acres, 4,036. Real property, £8,628. Pop., 2,196. Houses, 510. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury, Value, £398.* Patron, Winchester College. The church was built in the 12th century, and went recently into decay; and a new one, to be in the early transition style, with chapel and tower in the perpendicular style, was founded in 1862. Road-Hill vicarage is a separate charge. There is a Baptist chapel. An asylum for poor, founded by Archdeacon Daubeny, and a school have £159.-The subdistrict includes also part of Steeple-Ashton parish. Acres, 6,076. Pop., 2,510. Houses, 577.

North Bradley through time

North Bradley is now part of West Wiltshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how West Wiltshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about North Bradley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of North Bradley in West Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11635

Date accessed: 26th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " North Bradley ".