Place:


Whitewell  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whitewell like this:

WHITEWELL, a chapelry in Whalley parish, Lancashire and W. R. Yorkshire; 7 miles NW by W of Clitheroe r. station. It has a post-office under Clitheroe. Pop., 553. Browsholme Hall, Leagram Hall, and Fair-Oak House are chief residences. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £115. Patrons, Holme's Trustees. The church is good; and there are a Roman Catholic chapel, built in 1865, and a Church school.

Whitewell through time

Whitewell is now part of Ribble Valley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ribble Valley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Whitewell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whitewell, in Ribble Valley and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11627

Date accessed: 25th November 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Whitewell ".