Place:


Birdsall  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Birdsall like this:

BIRDSALL, a parish in Malton district and E. R. Yorkshire; 1¾ mile SW of North Grimston r. station, and 5 ½. S by E of New Malton. Post Town, North Grimston, under Malton. Acres, 3,972. Real property, £3,780. Pop., 355. Houses, 52. The property is divided among a few. Birdsall Hall, formerly a seat of Lord Middleton, is the chief residence. ...


The living is a vicarage in the diocese of York. Value, £40. Patron, the Marquis of Hertford. The church is a handsome edifice, built in 1814 by Lord Middleton. Henry Burton, the famous puritan divine who died in 1648, was a native.

Birdsall through time

Birdsall is now part of Ryedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ryedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Birdsall itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Birdsall, in Ryedale and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11598

Date accessed: 19th June 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Birdsall ".