Place:


Little Bedwyn  Wiltshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Little Bedwyn like this:

BEDWIN, or Bedwyn (Little), a parish in the district of Hungerford and county of Wilts; on the Kennet and Avon canal, and on the Hungerford and Devizes railway, near Wans Dyke, 1½ mile NE of Bedwin r. station, and 3½ SW by S of Hungerford. It includes the hamlet of Chisbury, and has a post office under Hungerford. ...


Acres, 4,233. Real property, £3,796. Pop., 496. Houses, 117. The property is not much divided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Salisbury. Value, £280.* Patron, the Marquis of Ailesbury. The church is ancient, partly Norman, and built of flint; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and contains the tomb of a Hungerford.

Little Bedwyn through time

Little Bedwyn is now part of Kennet district. Click here for graphs and data of how Kennet has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Little Bedwyn itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Little Bedwyn, in Kennet and Wiltshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11532

Date accessed: 29th February 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Little Bedwyn ".