Place:


Whittington  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whittington like this:

WHITTINGTON, a parish in Northleach district, Gloucester; 4½ miles ESE of Cheltenham r. station. Post town, Cheltenham. Acres, 1,422. Real property, £1,747. Pop., 217. Houses, 36. W. Court is the seat of F. S. Waller, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £376.* Patron, H.-Wright, Esq. The church is partly Norman. There is an endowed school with £32 a year.

Whittington through time

Whittington is now part of Cotswold district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cotswold has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Whittington itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whittington, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11462

Date accessed: 20th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Whittington ".