Place:


Barkston  West Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Barkston like this:

BARKSTONE-ASH, a wapentake in W. R. Yorkshire; bounded on the S by the river Aire, on the E by the river Ouse, on the N by the river Wharfe. It contains 4 market towns, 18 parishes, and 48 townships; and is cut into two divisions, Lower and Upper. Acres, of L. B., 43,852. Pop. in 1851, 13,544. Acres of U. B., 40,941. Pop. in 1851, 13,688. Pop. of both in 1861, 27,866. Houses, 6,049.

Barkston through time

Barkston is now part of Selby district. Click here for graphs and data of how Selby has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Barkston itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Barkston, in Selby and West Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11452

Date accessed: 31st March 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Barkston ".