Margam  Glamorgan


In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Margam like this:

Margam, par., Glamorgan, partly within the parliamentary limits of Aberavon and partly within the parliamentary limits of Kenfig (Aberavon part, pop. 3872; Kenfig part, pop. 121), 18,347 ac. and 1371 tidal water and foreshore, pop. 5708; has copper and tin works. Margam Park, seat, 3 miles SE. ...

of Aberavon, has a large conservatory with a very fine collection of orange and lemon trees; the park is 5 miles in circumference, richly wooded, and stocked with deer. The church of Margam Abbey (1147) forms part of the parish church. Mynydd Margam, on N. side of park, 1129 ft. high, is covered from base to summit with fine oakwood.

Margam through time

Margam is now part of Neath Port Talbot district. Click here for graphs and data of how Neath Port Talbot has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Margam itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Margam, in Neath Port Talbot and Glamorgan | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.


Date accessed: 18th April 2024

Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Margam".