Place:


Lower Swell  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lower Swell like this:

SWELL (Lower), a parish, with a village, in Stow-on-the-Wold district, Gloucester; 1 mile NW by N of Stow-on-the-Wold r. station. Post town, Stow-on-the Wold, under Moreton-in-Marsh. Acres, 1,670. Real property, £3,600. Pop., 449. Houses, 99. The property is much subdivided. Swell Bowl was the residence of the county historian, Sir R. Atkyns. There are a mineral spring and three barrows. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £170.* Patron, Christchurch, Oxford. The church is Norman, with a modern pointed aisle. There is a national school.

Lower Swell through time

Lower Swell is now part of Cotswold district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cotswold has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lower Swell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lower Swell, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11333

Date accessed: 28th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lower Swell ".