Place:


Stowell  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stowell like this:

STOWELL, a parish in Northleach district, Gloucester; on the river Coln, 8 miles NE by N of Cirencester r. station. Post town, Northleach, under Cheltenham. Acres, 823. Real property, £1,002. Pop., 41. Houses, 6. The manor gave the title of Baron to the Earl of Eldon, and belongs now to his representatives. The living is a rectory, annexed to Hampnett. The church is ancient.

Stowell through time

Stowell is now part of Cotswold district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cotswold has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Stowell itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stowell, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11330

Date accessed: 28th January 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Stowell ".