Place:


Sharnford  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sharnford like this:

SHARNFORD, a parish, with a village, in Hinckley district, Leicester; on the river Soar and the Fosse way, 3 miles N N W of Ullesthorpe r. station, and 4 E S E of Hinckley. Post-town, Hinckley. Acres, 740. Real property, £3, 629. Pop., 589. Houses, 130. The property is much subdivided. Frame-work knitting is carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £450.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was restored in 1866. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £9.

Sharnford through time

Sharnford is now part of Blaby district. Click here for graphs and data of how Blaby has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Sharnford itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sharnford, in Blaby and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11264

Date accessed: 31st May 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Sharnford ".