Place:


Osgathorpe  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Osgathorpe like this:

OSGATHORPE, a village and a parish in Ashby-de-la-Zouch district, Leicester. The village stands on an affluent of the river Soar, 2 miles N N E of Swannington r. station, and 5 E N E of Ashby-de-la-Zouch; and is apleasant place. The parish comprises 1, 220 acres. Post-town, Loughborough. Real property, £1, 982. ...


Pop., 351. Houses, 82. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to J. B. Story, Esq. Bricks are made. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £240.* Patron, the Marquis of Hastings. The church is of the 13th century; was restored, with addition of apsidal E end, in 1861; has a tower and spire; and contains a restored ancient octagonal font. There are a free grammar-school for 40 day pupils, endowed residences for 7 clergymen's widows, with £317 a year, and other charities £9.

Osgathorpe through time

Osgathorpe is now part of North West Leicestershire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North West Leicestershire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Osgathorpe itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Osgathorpe in North West Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11204

Date accessed: 25th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Osgathorpe ".