Place:


Appleton Wiske  North Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Appleton Wiske like this:

APPLETON-WISKE, or Appleton-upon-Wiske, a chapelry and a subdistrict, in the district of Northallerton, N. R. Yorkshire. The chapelry lies on the river Wiske, 3 miles NW of Welbury r. station, and 7½ NNE of Northallerton; and it has a post office under Northallerton. Acres, 1,827. Real property, £2,300. ...


Pop., 466. Houses, 119. The property is much subdivided. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of York, annexed to the rectory of Great Smeaton in the diocese of Ripon. The church is very bad.-The subdistrict comprises six parishes, and parts of three other parishes. Acres, 26,590. Pop., 2,952. Houses, 620.

Appleton Wiske through time

Appleton Wiske is now part of Hambleton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Hambleton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Appleton Wiske itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Appleton Wiske, in Hambleton and North Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11188

Date accessed: 27th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Appleton Wiske ".