Place:


Acklam  East Riding

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Acklam like this:

ACKLAM, a township and a parish in Malton district, E. R. Yorkshire. The township is called Acklam-with-Barthorpe, and lies 5 miles ESE of Kirkham r. station, and 7 S of Malton. Acres, 1,860. Pop. 366. Houses, 82. The parish is called East Acklam, and contains also the township of Leavening. Post Town, Kirby-Underdale under York. ...


Acres, 2,970. Real property, £1,621. Pop., 774. Houses, 184. The surface is on the Wolds, and commands a very extensive view. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of York. Value, £108.* Patron, the Archbishop of York. The church was rebuilt in 1868. There are chapels for Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists. Some ancient entrenchments and other works, British or Roman, are on the hills.

Acklam through time

Acklam is now part of Ryedale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Ryedale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Acklam itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Acklam, in Ryedale and East Riding | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11080

Date accessed: 03rd March 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Acklam ".