Place:


Over Wyresdale  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Over Wyresdale like this:

WYERSDALE (Over), a township-chapelry in Lancaster parish, Lancashire; on the river Wyre, 4¾ miles E by N of Bay-Horse r. station, and 7 SE of Lancaster. Post town, Lancaster. Acres, 16,938. Real property, £4,728. Pop. in 1851, 680; in 1861, 524. Houses, 90. The decrease of pop. arose from the destruction, by fire, of a cotton factory. The manor belongs to H. Garnett, Esq. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £170.* Patron, the Vicar of Lancaster-The church is plain. There are Quaker and Wesleyan chapels, and an endowed school.

Over Wyresdale through time

Over Wyresdale is now part of Lancaster district. Click here for graphs and data of how Lancaster has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Over Wyresdale itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Over Wyresdale, in Lancaster and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11063

Date accessed: 25th November 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Over Wyresdale ".