Place:


Wray  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wray like this:

WRAY, a village, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Lancaster district, Lancashire. The village stands 1 mile ESE of Hornby r. station, and 10 NE of Lancaster; and has a post-office under Lancaster, and cattle fairs on Shrove Tuesday and 30 April. The township includes Botton hamlet, and comprises 6,506 acres. ...


Real property, £4,072; of which £40 are in mines. Pop., 797. Houses, 154. The property is subdivided.—The chapelry was constituted in 1842; and is in Melling parish. Pop., 878. Houses, 168. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £60.* Patrons, Trustees. The church was built in 1840. There are two Methodist chapels, a free school, and a subscription library.—The sub-district contains six townships of Melling parish, and all Tatham. Acres, 28,953. Pop., 2,270. Houses, 447.

Wray through time

Wray is now part of Lancaster district. Click here for graphs and data of how Lancaster has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wray itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wray, in Lancaster and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11059

Date accessed: 25th November 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wray ".