Place:


Witton  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Witton like this:

WITTON, a township, a chapelry, and a sub-district, in Blackburn parish and district, Lancashire. The township lies ½ a mile N of Cherry-Tree r. station, and 1½ W by S of Blackburn; and contains large cotton mills. Acres, 650. Real property, £6,904. Pop. in 1851, 1,367; in 1861, 3,292. ...


Houses, 664. The increase of pop. arose from increase of cotton mills. The manor, with W. Hall, belongs to J. Feilden, Esq. Billinge Hill is within the park, rises to an altitude of 900 feet, and commands a very extensive view.—The chapelry extends beyond the township, and was constituted in 1842. Post town, Blackburn. Pop., 5,297. Houses, 1,041. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £300. Patron, the Vicar of Blackburn. The church was built in 1837, and is in the Norman style.—The sub-district contains 4 townships. Acres, 6,190. Pop., 8,115. Houses, 1,580.

Witton through time

Witton is now part of Blackburn With Darwen district. Click here for graphs and data of how Blackburn With Darwen has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Witton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Witton, in Blackburn with Darwen and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11046

Date accessed: 17th January 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Witton ".