Place:


Wheelton  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wheelton like this:

WHEELTON, a township in Leyland parish, Lancashire; 3 miles NE of Chorley. Acres, 1,669. Real property, £4,309; of which £176 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 1,041; in 1861, 1,360. Houses, 233. The increase of pop. arose from the erection of cotton-mills-Brinscall Hall is the seat of W.Wood, Esq. There is a national school.

Wheelton through time

Wheelton is now part of Chorley district. Click here for graphs and data of how Chorley has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wheelton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wheelton, in Chorley and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/11030

Date accessed: 25th November 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wheelton ".