Place:


Kimcote  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kimcote like this:

KIMCOTE, a parish in Lutterworth district, Leicester; on the river Swift, 3¼ miles NE by E of Lutterworth, and 3½ WNW of Welford r. station. It includes the farm hamlet of Cotes de Val, and part of the large hamlet of Walton; and its post town is Lutterworth. Acres, 1, 710. Real property, £5, 206. ...


Pop. in 1851, 603; in 1861, 501. Houses, 129. The property is subdivided. The manor belongs to Lord Willoughby-de-Broke. Framework-knitting is largely carried on. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £566.* Patron, Lord Willoughby-de-Broke. The church is old but good, and has a pinnacled tower. There are chapels for Baptists and Methodists, a national school, and charities £84. Jago, the poet, was rector.

Kimcote through time

Kimcote is now part of Harborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kimcote itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kimcote, in Harborough and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10969

Date accessed: 04th June 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kimcote ".