Place:


Middlewich  Cheshire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Middlewich like this:

Middlewich, town, par., and township, Cheshire, 5½ miles SE. of North wich and 166 NW. of London by rail - par., 13,110 ac., pop. 5205; township, 37 ac., pop. 1325; town, 238 ac., pop. 3379; P.O., T.O., 1 Bank, 1 newspaper. Middlewich was held by the Earl of Mercia under Edward the Confessor. The town has an antique appearance. The trade is chiefly in salt, obtained from brine springs in the neighbourhood; there are small silk and fustian factories, and considerable quantities of fruit and vegetables are raised in the vicinity for the Liverpool and Manchester markets.

Middlewich through time

Middlewich is now part of Congleton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Congleton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Middlewich itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Middlewich, in Congleton and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/1093

Date accessed: 14th August 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Middlewich ".