Place:


Samlesbury  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Samlesbury like this:

SAMLESBURY, a township-chapelry in Blackburn parish, Lancashire; on the river Ribble, 2 miles E S E of Fulwood r. station, and 3¾ E by N of Preston. It containspart of Mellor-Brook hamlet, which has a post-office under Blackburn, and Roach hamlet, which has a cotton-mill. Acres, 4, 270. ...


Real property, £6, 951; of which £10 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 1, 435; in 1861, 1, 215. Houses, 236. S. Old Hall is the seat of J. Harrison, Esq.; was erected in 1530, by Sir T. Southworth; was moated till the formation of the new road from Preston to Blackburn; contains a great hall, constructed of Massive and elegantly carved oak timbers; and was restored and finely embellished in 1864. Roach Hall datesfrom 1675, was long the residence of the Hoghton family, and is now a farm-house. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Manchester. Value, £150.* Patron, the Vicar of Blackburn. The church is ancient. There are a Roman Catholic chapel, a national school, and charities £35.

Samlesbury through time

Samlesbury is now part of South Ribble district. Click here for graphs and data of how South Ribble has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Samlesbury itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Samlesbury, in South Ribble and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10878

Date accessed: 09th May 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Samlesbury ".