Place:


Hawling  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hawling like this:

HAWLING, a village and a parish in Winchcomb district, Gloucester. The village lies under the Cotswolds, 4½ miles SE by S of Winchcomb, and 7½ W of Bourton-on-the-Water r. station; and has a post-office under Cheltenham. The parish comprises 1,846 acres. Real property, £2,091. Pop., 171. Houses, 40. The property is all in one estate. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. Value, £100.* Patron, H. T. Hope, Esq. The church is Norman and good; and has a square embattled tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.

Hawling through time

Hawling is now part of Tewkesbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tewkesbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hawling itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hawling, in Tewkesbury and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10836

Date accessed: 26th October 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hawling ".