Place:


Hailes  Gloucestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hailes like this:

HAILES, or HAYLES, a parish in Winchcomb district, Gloucester; under the Cotswolds, 2 miles NE of Winchcomb, and 6 SE of Beckford r. station. Posttown, Winchcomb under Cheltenham. Acres, 1, 520. Real property, £2, 705. Pop., 102. Houses, 17. The manor belonged anciently to Osgot, the Saxon; and belongs now to Lord Sudeley. ...


A Cistertian abbey was founded here, in 1246, by Richard, Earl of Cornwall; was given, at the dissolution, to Sir Thomas Seymour: and passed to the Marquis of Northampton and the Tracies. Some interesting remains of the abbey are still standing. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Didbrook, in the diocese of Gloucester and Bristol.

Hailes through time

Hailes is now part of Tewkesbury district. Click here for graphs and data of how Tewkesbury has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Hailes itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hailes, in Tewkesbury and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10810

Date accessed: 14th June 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Hailes ".