Place:


Llanfihangel Crucornau  Monmouthshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanfihangel Crucornau like this:

LLANVIHANGEL-CRUCORNEY, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Abergavenny district, Monmouth. The village stands on the river Monnow, adjacent to the Abergavenny and Hereford railway, near the boundary with Hereford, and under Skirrid-fawr mountain, 1 mile NNE of Llanfihangel r. station, and 4½ NNE of Abergavenny; and has a post office under Abergavenny.—The parish contains also the hamlet o Penbiddle, and comprises 3,264 acres. ...


Real property, £3,579; of which £215 are on the railway. Pop., 479. Houses, 103. The property is much subdivided. Llanvihangel Court belonged to the Arnolds; passed, in the time of Queen Anne, to the Harleys; belongs now to the Hon. W. Rodney; is an ancient edifice; and has a remarkably grand avenue of firs. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £281. Patron, the Prince of Wales. The church is good. Charities, £4.—The sub-district contains also six other parishes. Acres, 20,510. Pop., 1,860. Houses, 402.

Llanfihangel Crucornau through time

Llanfihangel Crucornau is now part of Monmouthshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how Monmouthshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Llanfihangel Crucornau itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanfihangel Crucornau in Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10800

Date accessed: 01st April 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Llanfihangel Crucornau ".