Place:


Gilmorton  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Gilmorton like this:

GILMORTON, a parish in Lutterworth district, Leicester; 3 miles NE by N of Lutterworth, and 4 SE of Broughton-Astley r. station. It has a post office under Lutterworth. Acres, 2, 830. Real property, £4, 455. Pop., 853. Houses, 200. The property is subdivided. Some of the inhabitants are stocking-makers. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £632.* Patron, the Rev. J. M. Lakin. The church was rebuilt in 1860, at a cost of upwards of £2, 000 There are a Baptist chapel, an endowed school, and some small charities.

Gilmorton through time

Gilmorton is now part of Harborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Gilmorton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Gilmorton, in Harborough and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10792

Date accessed: 04th June 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Gilmorton ".