Place:


Broughton Astley  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Broughton Astley like this:

BROUGHTON-ASTLEY, a township and a parish in Lutterworth district, Leicester. The township lies on the Midland railway, near the Fosse way, 5½ miles N by W of Lutterworth; and has a station on the railway. Pop., 354. Houses, 77. The parish contains also the townships of Primethorpe and Sutton-in-the-Elms; and its Post Town is Cosby, under Lutterworth. ...


Acres, 1,930. Real property, £5,544. Pop., 785. Houses, 182. The property is much subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £674.* Patron, H. Radford, Esq. The church is old. There are a Baptist chapel, a national school, and charities £19.

Broughton Astley through time

Broughton Astley is now part of Harborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Broughton Astley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Broughton Astley, in Harborough and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10656

Date accessed: 24th September 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Broughton Astley ".