Place:


Lydiate  Lancashire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Lydiate like this:

LYDIATE, a village and a chapelry in Halsall parish, Lancashire. The village stands near the Leeds and Liverpool canal, 2¾ miles W of Town-Green r. station, and 4¼ SW of Ormskirk; and has a post office under Ormskirk. The chapelry comprises 1,995 acres. Real property, £6,018. ...


Pop., 848. Houses, 152. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to T. W. Blundell, Esq. Lydiate Hall is now a farmhouse. Lydiate abbey was in the course of erection at the Reformation; was left uncompleted at the dissolution; and is now a fine ivy-clad ruin, including S wall and castellated tower. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Chester. Value, £150.* Patron, the Rector of Halsall. The church was built in 1841; is in the pointed style; and comprises two aisles and a chancel, with a pinnacled tower. A Roman Catholic church was built in 1853; and consists of nave, three aisles, and chancel, with tower, and spire. There are a parochial school and a Roman Catholic school.

Lydiate through time

Lydiate is now part of Sefton district. Click here for graphs and data of how Sefton has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Lydiate itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Lydiate, in Sefton and Lancashire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10654

Date accessed: 21st February 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Lydiate ".