Place:


Husbands Bosworth  Leicestershire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Husbands Bosworth like this:

BOSWORTH (Husbands), a village and a parish in Market-Harborough district, Leicester. The village stands adjacent to the rivers Welland and Avon, the Union canal, and the Northwestern railway, 1 mile E of Welford station, and 6 WSW of Market-Harborough; and has a post office‡ under Rugby, and a fair on 16 Oct.—The parish comprises 3,870 acres. ...


Real property, £7,830. Pop., 934. Houses, 211. The property is much subdivided. Bosworth Hall is an ancient mansion, the seat of the Turvilles. The Union canal passes through a tunnel in the parish, 1,170 yards long. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Peterborough. Value, £966.* Patron, J. W. Lamb, Esq. The church is early English, with tower and spire; was rent by lightning to the extent of 36 feet, in 1755; but is now good. There are chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans, and Roman Catholics. An endowed school has £15; other charities £77. Spencer, bishop of Norwich in the time of Richard II., was rector.

Husbands Bosworth through time

Husbands Bosworth is now part of Harborough district. Click here for graphs and data of how Harborough has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Husbands Bosworth itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Husbands Bosworth, in Harborough and Leicestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10630

Date accessed: 25th May 2020


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Husbands Bosworth ".