Place:


Smethcott  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Smethcott like this:

SMETHCOTT, a village and a parish in Church-Stretton district, Salop. The village stands 1½ mile WNW of Leebotwood r. station, and 4 N of Church-Stretton; and has a post-office under Shrewsbury. The parish includes the townships of Betchcott and Picklescott, and the hamlet of Walkmills. Acres, 2,705. Real property, £2,884. Pop., 318. Houses, 68. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £276. Patrons, Hulme's Trustees. The church is good; and there are a slightly endowed school, and charities £15.

Smethcott through time

Smethcott is now part of Shrewsbury and Atcham district. Click here for graphs and data of how Shrewsbury and Atcham has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Smethcott itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Smethcott, in Shrewsbury and Atcham and Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10490

Date accessed: 18th May 2022


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Smethcott ".