Place:


Norton in Hales  Shropshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Norton in Hales like this:

NORTON-IN-HALES, a village and a parish in Market-Drayton district, Salop. The village stands near the river Tern at the boundary with Stafford, 2½ miles E S E of Adderley r. station, and 3½ N E by N of Market-Drayton; will have a station on the Silverdale and Market-Drayton railway, in course of erection in 1867; and has a post-office, of the name of Norton, under Market-Drayton. ...


The parish comprises 1, 920 acres. Real property, £2, 937. Pop., 309. Houses, 64. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to E. F. Coulson, Esq. Bellaport House is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, £305.* Patron, S. W. Silver, Esq. The church, excepting the tower, was rebuilt in 1865; and is in the early English style. There are two schools, for boys and girls. Dr. Lightfoot, the Hebraist, was rector.

Norton in Hales through time

Norton in Hales is now part of North Shropshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how North Shropshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Norton in Hales itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Norton in Hales in North Shropshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/10447

Date accessed: 19th September 2021


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Norton in Hales ".